Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thoughts on FaMiLy

Over the last little while I have been thinking a lot about family. Family in general. My Family. Do we take family for granted? Is it better to have a family that all lives within 10 minutes from each other or does distance really make the heart grow fonder? Do I call my parents or even see them as much as I should? I live close to them so does that mean I can disregard putting forth any effort to keep our relationship as close as it should be? Since I work with my brother do I now treat him more like a co-worker? I think that families go through spurts of good times and bad but how often do we try make the good times great and the bad times good? I love every Monday. Why? I get to email back and forth with my youngest brother Cort. I think about him all of the time and cannot wait to hear how his last week was. Is it because he is not convenient? The last thing a close family wants is distance. Only seeing each other once a year and catching up over the phone is not my idea of family. People get busy in the day to day stuff. We all need to sit back and re-evaluate what family means to us. Here are some things I question.
  • I have an amazing husband. Do I tell him this enough? Do I show him how much I love and appreciate him? Do I recognize all of his qualities and values? Do I kiss and hug him enough? Am I everything he could want in a wife?
  • I have an awesome dad. We talk but is it enough? Does he know what an inspiration he is to me? Does he know how much I love his goofy sense of humor? I am proud to call him dad.
  • I have the best mom. Being her only daughter are we as close as we should be? Does she know that her compassion towards special needs kids is remarkable? Have I told her what a great example she is to me?
  • I have two incredible brothers. I would not trade them for the world. I think the years difference in age has had a positive impact on our relationship. Do they know how much I love and care for them? Do they hate that I give them advice? Do they know that I want nothing but the best for them? I am gaining a sister n law shortly and I cannot wait to have her in my family.
  • I have a terrific mother n law and father n law. Do they know how much I value them? Do they know that I love them? Should I email or call my father n law while he is out of town? Am I there if my mother n law needs someone to talk to? They both have strengths that I can only dream of having.
  • I have 8 wonderful brother and sister n laws. Do I tell them how much they mean to me? Do I treat them all equal as they should be? Do I need to call or text more often just to tell them to have a great day? Am I available if someone should need something?
  • I have 4 unique nieces and nephews. I love each of them more than they know. Do I need to pick them up so they can spend time with their "favorite" aunt? Do they know that I am here if they need something? Am I good example for them?
I have a fear that I will lose someone before I have really had the chance to tell them how important they are to me. I need to not take family for granted and love them before I ever lose them.

1 comment: